[UPT] What we have, What we are going to do...

Behnam Esfahbod behnam at zwnj.org
Sat Sep 30 23:05:33 BST 2006

Hi Kia, and list,

Sorry for late answer.

On 9/22/06, Kia Teymourian <kiat at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>  Behnam wrote an informative starting email for this project, you can find
> blow my comments and questions about it.

> 1. I've been a member of the FarsiWeb project for 4 years, and a
> developer of Sharif Linux, but it's not a reason to consider this
> project under the rules of Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc.
>
>  Could you please write some words about the relationship between this
> project and the FARSIWEB Inc.
>  Will the output of this project be published under the term of GPL license
> together with the name of  FARSIWEB ?
>  If you can find some time, could you please give me some detail information
> about the names and the publishing licenses.

Ubuntu Persian Translation doesn't have any relationship with Sharif
FarsiWeb, Inc.  I'm an individual contributer to Ubuntu.  BTW I cannot
promise that Sharif FarsiWeb won't use the output of this project, as
GPL says so, and like that you cannot prevent Sun, Novell, RedHat, etc
to use them.

>  3. We have discussed for more than 4 years about Persian Translation
> issues on Persian Computing and FarsiWeb mailing lists, which are
> (unfortunately) down nowadays. You can find the archives on the web.
>
>  Yes, I know about your work and followed them on the web ...
>  I think the best one was  the firibidi project.

Good, and thanks. :)

>  wondering why I can't  find the persian translation of Openoffice.org,
>  just found a debian package but nothing on the openoffice.org project.

You can find the translation packages on their bugzilla.
Unfortunately seems OOo doesn't have translation content on the web.

>  5. I'm the coordinator of Mozilla Persian Translation team, and I need
> your help. Among our work on Mozilla (since more than 5 years ago), I
> did a lot of work for the last couple of months to get Firefox 2.0
> available in Persian, and it's not complete yet. So please [7]
>
>  You mean this project ,
> http://persianmozilla.sourceforge.net/ .
>  Is this project frozen?
>  Could please how can I find the old source codes , and why they are not
> available on the project website.

I just put the link on the wiki page.  I can send you the .xpi file if
you like to test it.  non of persianmozilla.sf.net nor farsimoz.sf.net
(I started the later one) are imcompelte and closed.

More infO: http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Localization_Teams#Persian_.28fa.29

>  7. WE NEED YOU! If you go around and blame FarsiWeb on what did in
> the past 6 years, you won't get anything more. Please help FOSS to
> get better Persian support. You're free to choose how you want to
> help. You can use Sharif Linux, if you like, and try to make it
> better. You can try Ubuntu, and make it better too. But all you do
> should be of such quality to go upstream; only then you
> have really helped.
>
> (Most of the time, I test and patch Mozilla/Firefox on my Ubuntu box,
> but you will get a lot of Persian-related bugs fixed on the next
> Sharif Linux. This is how FOSS works.)
>
>  It is my pleasure to work with you and other Iranian guys.
>  As I know Farsiweb Inc. is a commercial company and the Sharif Linux is
> commercial  product.

Sharif Linux is an Enterprise GNU/Linux distribution.  Of course it is
Open Source, and a lot of people have got the source codes already.  I
don't understand what you mean by "commercial product".

>  I have great respect for the members of Farsiwe, and I can understand the
> situation in Iran.

Sorry, but I didn't get you.  Which situation you are talking about exactly?

>  But I don't like to invest my free time on projects for the Farsiweb Inc.
> so that they can make
>  their Sharif Linux better for Shell company in Iran.

Shell Iran is just one of the costumers of Sharif Linux.  We have a
lot of home-users already.  BTW what's the problem exactly with having
an Enterprise level customer?  Doesn't Canonical have such customers?
What about RedHat?  VA-Linux?  Novell?

BTW have you seen OS Revolution?  Please watch it if you didn't yet.

>  But If you would say that this project has nothing to do with Farsiweb Inc.
> and Sharif Linux, I am with you and would work on it,
>  otherwise I wish you the best and invest my time on something different.

Answered before. :)

>  Apologize for asking so!

No problem.  It's your right to know what exactly we want to do, or
better, who *we* are.  But it's so depressing to see such behavior
with a local company...

> 12. Study the current translations. For example if you want to
> contribute translations to the Gnome project, you should look at what
> we have now, and make a word list if you like. I'm not sure how long
> it takes for FarsiWeb to clean up its glossary and publish it. So
> don't wait, and make yours based on the current content that you can
> find on the projects main servers.
>
>  Which main server? You mean the project of respective projects or the
> farsiweb.ir ?
>  Could you please give us URLs?

gnome.org, mozilla.org, etc.  I added the links on the wiki page.

BTW because of band-width expenses, Sharif FarsiWeb doesn't have any
package on the website.  You can get the distro, and/or the source
code on CDs.  For more info, please look at http://www.farsiweb.ir/

'
>  I can find just some nice free fonts on www.farsiweb.ir! :)

Your welcome. ;)

> 15. I talked to Mehdi Hassanpour, and we decided to start writing
> the general information, guidelines, and requirements on
> <http://wiki.ubuntu.org/PersianTranslationTeam> and then
> decide how to
> divide to conquer.
>

>  think you mean the:
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PersianTranslationTeam

You're right.

> 17. Please note that we are ONLY a translation team. Many of
> interested people in Persian translation projects don't live in Iran,
> or don't have enough spare time to attend local meetings, help
> end-users, etc. Please just focus on translation issues in this list,
> but feel free to to send important announcements of Iranian events and
> issues here every once in a while.
>
>  I would suggest that the team member in IRAN make a meeting day to meet
> each other and talk about the project tasks.
>  It could be useful to look on the the package list of Ubuntu
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/)  and see which package should be translated,
>  and give them priorities with numbers.

I'm going to list non-Gnome packages on another wiki page to keep
track of revewers, etc. and make it easy to assign them.

>  An open-source revision control system like subversion is must for the
> source codes.
>
>  Some other tools like a groupware system with  project management tools
> could be useful, like open-exchange

Wiki has all we need.  I will create the list of packages right now.
Please put your name there when you want to translate/review a
package.

>  Use the DocBook XML format for the glossary and all other documentations.

We use PO glossaries here.  That's the best way IMO, as you can use it
to auto-translate the base POT file, and just review it.

Thanks for your comments. :)

Regards,
--
    '     بهنام اسفهبد