[UPT] What we have, What we are going to do...

Abbas Esmaeeli Some'eh abbas at esmaeeli.org
Fri Sep 22 08:13:08 BST 2006

Kia Teymourian wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> thank you for your emails and thanks for starting this wonderfully
> project.
>
> I think also that the main language of this list should be English,
> discussions on this list could be useful for other translation teams
> like Arabic, Urdu, and may be later for Dari and Pashto teams.  My
> experience from other works shows that it could be useful
> for the other people when we write in English so that everybody can
> understand it.
> Just check this:
> http://www.iranphp.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&topic=100.30
>
> Don't worry about the English mistakes! It is not our mother tongue!

OK, Kia convinced me and I will use English from now.

> Behnam wrote an informative starting email for this project, you can
> find blow my comments and questions about it.
>
> Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> 1. I've been a member of the FarsiWeb project for 4 years, and a
>> developer of Sharif Linux, but it's not a reason to consider this
>> project under the rules of Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc.
>>
> Could you please write some words about the relationship between this
> project and the FARSIWEB Inc.
> Will the output of this project be published under the term of GPL
> license together with the name of  FARSIWEB ?
> If you can find some time, could you please give me some detail
> information about the names and the publishing licenses.

I agree, we should now where and why we work on this project.

> [...]
>> your help.  Among our work on Mozilla (since more than 5 years ago), I
>> did a lot of work for the last couple of months to get Firefox 2.0
>> available in Persian, and it's not complete yet.  So please [7]
>>
> You mean this project , http://persianmozilla.sourceforge.net/ .
> Is this project frozen? Could please how can I find the old source
> codes , and why they are not available on the project website.
>> 6. Fortunately, ubuntu-ir, the Ubuntu Local Team for Iranian Users
>> have been set up, and the website <http://ubuntu-ir.org/> will be up
>> soon.  Also it has a mailing list too:
>> the Iranian Local Team to attract end-users, set up local events, etc.
>>  I'm on the list, and will help as far as I can.
>>
> wonderful idea, better than the usage of any private servers with
> commercial content management systems
>> 7. WE NEED YOU!  If you go around and blame FarsiWeb on what did in
>> the past 6 years, you won't get anything more.  Please help FOSS to
>> get better Persian support.  You're free to choose how you want to
>> help.  You can use Sharif Linux, if you like, and try to make it
>> better.  You can try Ubuntu, and make it better too.  But all you do
>> should be of such quality to go upstream;  only then you
>> have really helped.
>>
>> (Most of the time, I test and patch Mozilla/Firefox on my Ubuntu box,
>> but you will get a lot of Persian-related bugs fixed on the next
>> Sharif Linux.  This is how FOSS works.)
>>
> It is my pleasure to work with you and other Iranian guys.
> As I know Farsiweb Inc. is a commercial company and the Sharif Linux
> is commercial  product. I have great respect for the members of
> Farsiwe, and I can understand the situation in Iran. But I don't like
> to invest my free time on projects for the Farsiweb Inc. so that they
> can make
> their Sharif Linux better for Shell company in Iran.
> But If you would say that this project has nothing to do with Farsiweb
> Inc. and Sharif Linux, I am with you and would work on it,
> otherwise I wish you the best and invest my time on something different.
>
> Apologize for asking so!
>> 8. When I saw the amount of work on Persian translation of Ubuntu on
>> the Launchpad, I wondered why not managing it, and make them real
>> works.  So I started to register this team; and with your help, we can
>> do it.
>>
>> 9. But let me remind you some requirements of helping on a FOSS
>> Translation project.  You need to read a lot of sources before you
>> start.
>>
>> 10. You should read Persian Academy Guideline
>> <http://www.persianacademy.net/fa/dastourkhat.aspx> first of all. I'm
>> not sure if the online version is the final one.  Anybody knows?  Also
>> the online version has encoding problems; uses Arabic Yeh, etc. You can
>> buy the printed version from their bookstore on 3rd avenue, Bokharest
>> St.
>>
> unfortunately I live in Berlin, and can't buy the paper format, may be
Kia, I can do it for you. BTW I have a PDF version too, if you want
that, I can send it to you.

>> 11. And a lot of discussions on the web, mailing lists, bugzilla's,
>> etc.
>>
>> 12. Study the current translations.  For example if you want to
>> contribute translations to the Gnome project, you should look at what
>> we have now, and make a word list if you like.  I'm not sure how long
>> it takes for FarsiWeb to clean up its glossary and publish it.  So
>> don't wait, and make yours based on the current content that you can
>> find on the projects main servers.
>>
> Which main server? You mean the project of respective projects or the
> farsiweb.ir ?
> I can find just some nice free fonts on www.farsiweb.ir! :)
> Could you please give us URLs?
>> 13. Then you start to contribute.  You can started by reviewing others
>> translation, to learn, and to improve quality of their translation.
>> It's the best way.  You can ask question on this list, and on the
>> general IRC channel for Persian Translation
>> <irc://irc.freenode.net/#persian>.

The Iranian LoCo IRC channel is up and running now also!
<irc://irc.freenode.net/#ubuntu-ir>

>> 14. Thanks for your patient.  I'm waiting for your comments and add-ons.
>>
>> 15. I talked to Mehdi Hassanpour, and we decided to start writing
>> the general information, guidelines, and requirements on
>> <http://wiki.ubuntu.org/PersianTranslationTeam> and then decide how to
>> divide to conquer.
>>

> think you mean the:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PersianTranslationTeam
>

>> 16. Thanks all for your previous mails and suggestions, and excuse me
>> for the delay.
>>
>> 17. Please note that we are ONLY a translation team.  Many of
>> interested people in Persian translation projects don't live in Iran,
>> or don't have enough spare time to attend local meetings, help
>> end-users, etc.  Please just focus on translation issues in this list,
>> but feel free to to send important announcements of Iranian events and
>> issues here every once in a while.
>>
> I would suggest that the team member in IRAN make a meeting day to
> meet each other and talk about the project tasks.
> It could be useful to look on the the package list of Ubuntu
> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/)  and see which package should be
> translated,
> and give them priorities with numbers.

I think we would organize such a meeting when we finish works on forums,
website, wiki and etc.

> An open-source revision control system like subversion is must for the
> source codes.
>
> Some other tools like a groupware system with  project management
> tools could be useful, like open-exchange
>
> Use the DocBook XML format for the glossary and all other documentations.
>

> Kindest regards
> Kia Teymourian

Thanks,
Abbas