[UPT] What we have, What we are going to do...

Kia Teymourian kiat at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 21 23:24:51 BST 2006

Hi friends,

thank you for your emails and thanks for starting this wonderfully project.

I think also that the main language of this list should be English,
discussions on this list could be useful for other translation teams
like Arabic, Urdu, and may be later for Dari and Pashto teams.  My
experience from other works shows that it could be useful
for the other people when we write in English so that everybody can
understand it.
Just check this:
http://www.iranphp.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&topic=100.30

Don't worry about the English mistakes! It is not our mother tongue!

Behnam wrote an informative starting email for this project, you can
find blow my comments and questions about it.

Behnam Esfahbod wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> 1. I've been a member of the FarsiWeb project for 4 years, and a
> developer of Sharif Linux, but it's not a reason to consider this
> project under the rules of Sharif FarsiWeb, Inc.

Could you please write some words about the relationship between this
project and the FARSIWEB Inc.
Will the output of this project be published under the term of GPL
license together with the name of  FARSIWEB ?
If you can find some time, could you please give me some detail
information about the names and the publishing licenses.
> 2. I started managing Ubuntu Persian Translation, because I like
> Ubuntu and use it on my laptop, as it's Simple and Powerful.

Ubuntu is the freest and best Linux distribution for Linux beginners
(also for the Linux professionals)
I work about five years with Debian and Gentoo.

I know which difficulties may Linux beginner have with such Linux Systems,
how well Ubuntu can help them to work with GNU/Linux.
> 3. We have discussed for more than 4 years about Persian Translation
> issues on Persian Computing and FarsiWeb mailing lists, which are
> (unfortunately) down nowadays.  You can find the archives on the web.

Yes, I know about your work and followed them on the web ...
I think the best one was  the firibidi project.
> 4. I had contributed translation to the Gnome and OpenOffice.org
> projects, and some other FarsiWeb people are coordinators of the Gnome
> and OO.o Persian Translation teams.  So I like to see more feedback
> from Launchpad/Ubuntu to the Gnome and OO.o projects.  So please [7].

wondering why I can't  find the persian translation of Openoffice.org,
just found a debian package but nothing on the openoffice.org project.
> 5. I'm the coordinator of Mozilla Persian Translation team, and I need
> your help.  Among our work on Mozilla (since more than 5 years ago), I
> did a lot of work for the last couple of months to get Firefox 2.0
> available in Persian, and it's not complete yet.  So please [7]

You mean this project , http://persianmozilla.sourceforge.net/ .
Is this project frozen?
Could please how can I find the old source codes , and why they are not
available on the project website.
> 6. Fortunately, ubuntu-ir, the Ubuntu Local Team for Iranian Users
> have been set up, and the website <http://ubuntu-ir.org/> will be up
> soon.  Also it has a mailing list too:
> the Iranian Local Team to attract end-users, set up local events, etc.
>  I'm on the list, and will help as far as I can.

wonderful idea, better than the usage of any private servers with
commercial content management systems
> 7. WE NEED YOU!  If you go around and blame FarsiWeb on what did in
> the past 6 years, you won't get anything more.  Please help FOSS to
> get better Persian support.  You're free to choose how you want to
> help.  You can use Sharif Linux, if you like, and try to make it
> better.  You can try Ubuntu, and make it better too.  But all you do
> should be of such quality to go upstream;  only then you
> have really helped.
>
> (Most of the time, I test and patch Mozilla/Firefox on my Ubuntu box,
> but you will get a lot of Persian-related bugs fixed on the next
> Sharif Linux.  This is how FOSS works.)

It is my pleasure to work with you and other Iranian guys.
As I know Farsiweb Inc. is a commercial company and the Sharif Linux is
commercial  product.
I have great respect for the members of Farsiwe, and I can understand
the situation in Iran.
But I don't like to invest my free time on projects for the Farsiweb
Inc. so that they can make
their Sharif Linux better for Shell company in Iran.
But If you would say that this project has nothing to do with Farsiweb
Inc. and Sharif Linux, I am with you and would work on it,
otherwise I wish you the best and invest my time on something different.

Apologize for asking so!
> 8. When I saw the amount of work on Persian translation of Ubuntu on
> the Launchpad, I wondered why not managing it, and make them real
> works.  So I started to register this team; and with your help, we can
> do it.
>
> 9. But let me remind you some requirements of helping on a FOSS
> Translation project.  You need to read a lot of sources before you
> start.
>
> 10. You should read Persian Academy Guideline
> <http://www.persianacademy.net/fa/dastourkhat.aspx> first of all. I'm
> not sure if the online version is the final one.  Anybody knows?  Also
> the online version has encoding problems; uses Arabic Yeh, etc. You can
> buy the printed version from their bookstore on 3rd avenue, Bokharest
> St.

unfortunately I live in Berlin, and can't buy the paper format, may be
can someone organize it for me and
I send some followers with DVDs back.
> 11. And a lot of discussions on the web, mailing lists, bugzilla's,
> etc.
>
> 12. Study the current translations.  For example if you want to
> contribute translations to the Gnome project, you should look at what
> we have now, and make a word list if you like.  I'm not sure how long
> it takes for FarsiWeb to clean up its glossary and publish it.  So
> don't wait, and make yours based on the current content that you can
> find on the projects main servers.

Which main server? You mean the project of respective projects or the
farsiweb.ir ?
I can find just some nice free fonts on www.farsiweb.ir! :)
Could you please give us URLs?
> 13. Then you start to contribute.  You can started by reviewing others
> translation, to learn, and to improve quality of their translation.
> It's the best way.  You can ask question on this list, and on the
> general IRC channel for Persian Translation
> <irc://irc.freenode.net/#persian>.
>
> 14. Thanks for your patient.  I'm waiting for your comments and add-ons.
>
> 15. I talked to Mehdi Hassanpour, and we decided to start writing
> the general information, guidelines, and requirements on
> <http://wiki.ubuntu.org/PersianTranslationTeam> and then decide how to
> divide to conquer.

think you mean the:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PersianTranslationTeam

> 16. Thanks all for your previous mails and suggestions, and excuse me
> for the delay.
>
> 17. Please note that we are ONLY a translation team.  Many of
> interested people in Persian translation projects don't live in Iran,
> or don't have enough spare time to attend local meetings, help
> end-users, etc.  Please just focus on translation issues in this list,
> but feel free to to send important announcements of Iranian events and
> issues here every once in a while.

I would suggest that the team member in IRAN make a meeting day to meet
each other and talk about the project tasks.
It could be useful to look on the the package list of Ubuntu
(http://packages.ubuntu.com/)  and see which package should be translated,
and give them priorities with numbers.

An open-source revision control system like subversion is must for the
source codes.

Some other tools like a groupware system with  project management tools
could be useful, like open-exchange

Use the DocBook XML format for the glossary and all other documentations.

Kindest regards
Kia Teymourian