[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] 'two weeks' -> 'a fortnight'

Ed Hargin ed at bluehome.net
Thu Sep 14 09:39:37 BST 2006

Ben Goodger wrote:

>     Now, for the real argument: is it "data is" or "data are"?
>

> Data are. So are criteria. A criterion is and a daton (or possibly
> datum) is also.

This is correct (though I've never actually encountered a 'daton').  In
my scientific writing I have to constantly refer to "these data" or
"those data", though admittedly rarely do I refer to a single datum.
Either way, it would be considered a basic error to refer to "this data"
in all forms of science in my opinion.  If I recall correctly, I first
encountered this when taking my GCSEs at the age of 15/16.  Sorry to say
it, but it's not a particularly obscure question.

Of course, I do end up screaming at the TV when people get it wrong on a
regular basis...

Ed