[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Divergences between ubuntu-l10n and gnome-i18n regarding en_GB

David Lodge dave at cirt.net
Wed Sep 13 22:15:10 BST 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:14:08 +0100, Alex Hudson <home at alexhudson.com>
wrote:
> While I don't like "Trash"; "Dustbin", "Rubbish", "Waste" etc. I think
> are actually worse - they're kinda "dirty" words. Microsoft used
> "Recycle bin" which doesn't have the muck connotation, but isn't quite
> so clear a term (presumably for both all English OSes?).

Microsoft only really pay lip service to UK translation - most of their
apps don't have a translation and it's still the "Recycle Bin" in Windows.
Mac OS X is even worse - it's still "Trash". Our friends in KDE call it
the "Waste Bin". Outlook uses "Deleted Items" and "Dumpster" (the deleted
item's deleted items).

I don't think we'll ever get a solution that'll keep everybody happy.

In terms of liason 'twixt the Ubuntu and Gnome lists, I don't mind doing
that: I was planning to join the Ubuntu guys anyway (once I get my
problems with my graphics card sorted out). I'm also on the Fedora
translation list as well.

Ta

dave