[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Suggestions to add to translator table.

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 19:56:01 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 17:56 +0100, Toby Smithe wrote:
> My feedback:
>
> On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 22:59 -0500, Matt Sicker wrote:
> > plugin => plug-in
> No. Unnecessary hyphen, making stress fall on "in" not plug. As has been
> written before, with the hyphen, it is more like "plug in" (verb) than
> "plugin" (noun).
> > markup => mark-up
> Hmm... Again, as a verb: "mark up", noun: "markup".
> > aspect ratio => aspect-ratio
> See my prior e-mail.
> > fullscreen => full-screen
> Perhaps even "full screen" to maintain consistency with other nouns.
> "Full" is adjectival here; describing the screen.
> > keyword => key word
> "Key word" as noun; "keyword" as verb.
> > popup => pop-up
> I think we should break away here, and use "pop-up" as the noun, because
> there is no noun (neither "pop" nor "up"), nor any adjective compounded.
> "Pop up" should be the verb, for it is almost literally popping up.

So: does everyone think that when used as a verb, these compounds should
be separate: "pop up", "plug in", "set up", "log in"; with any words
following also separate as they are not part of the original expression.
As nouns, we should compound the two as often as possible to avoid
clutter: "plugin", "setup", "login". This, however, seems only to be the
case when it is "VerbPreposition". Or not?

An exception, for which I haven't decided a reason other than it is
already established in this form, is "pop-up" as a noun. Should the rule
be kept, so, "popup" (which Evolution's spell-check facility doesn't
seem to like) or broken; "pop-up". I personally prefer the latter.

Note "to spell-check". It is not in the form "VerbPreposition", so it is
hyphenated, not "spellcheck" or "spell check".