[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Voting has closed. We have a winner! [WAS: Wastebasket/Deleted Items]

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Sep 3 06:08:05 BST 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 08:03, Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 15:09 +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > The results are clear, with 78% voting for "Deleted Items Folder":
>
> [snip]
>
> > In other words, please focus on the Trash/Wastebasket to Deleted Items
> > (folder) migration above all else.
>
> We really should consult GNOME and KDE about this, as we don't want to
> change a large number of strings without them knowing about it.
>
> Either they will tell us it is stupid, or they will change their policy
> too.

Good idea. I've subscribed to the relevant GNOME and KDE mailing lists, and
I'll bring it up with them. Before I do, I'd like to clarify the string
transformations that we have settled upon:

  'Trash' (on desktop) => 'Deleted Items'
  'Trash' (in menus) => 'Deleted Items folder'
  'Move to Trash' => 'Move to Deleted Items folder'
  'Delete' => 'Permanently Delete'

Is this correct?

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

		"Windows is not done until Lotus 123 won't run."
			- Old Microsoft internal slogan