[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Could we all compile a GPG keyring for this group?

Ben Goodger goodgerster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 16:48:42 BST 2006

On 02/09/06, Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 15:18 +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:
> > "Open-source software is not suitable for the school environment"
> This makes no sense at all, this is precisely the environment it should
> be used in.
> > "Microsoft Word does not crash on its own, it must be user error" (I
> > look over her shoulder to a student who has been using the program for
> > four seconds and it has crashed) "You mean like opening the
> > program?" (I point) (She doesn't reply)
> Things do have a habit of crashing on their own.
> > "The fact that source code must be handled in using [FLOSS] means that
> > the software is not user-friendly enough for students."
> They obviously haven't a clue what free software actually is.
> > All these are from the same person, a teacher. The actual techs are
> > lazy arses who just reckon that the current cost of the RM service
> > subscription and software (£17k for an Exchange server,
> > £124/student/year) are acceptable as is the downtime and insecurity
> > (we had a RAID disc fail once, and every single client computer had to
> > have its OS reinstalled over a period of weeks; and as mentioned, the
> > following are blocked off: context menus, the run menu, my computer
> > window, CLI because all of these allow one to bypass the
> > client-side-only security software.)
> My computing teacher 2 years ago uses Firefox, so not all teachers are
> hopeless.
> > Fortunately the headmaster is a little more open to suggestion, and
> > even asked for a report on the feasibility of a partially Linux-based
> > server system to be used in school. Unfortunately, the teacher
> > mentioned above veto'd it.
> Why, are they getting paid by MS to do that?

Probably. It doesn't matter now anyway: I'm off to college on Monday, and
the teacher in question will be retiring in two years, at which point my
company will be able to have fair access to the headmaster.

Ben Goodger

Mi admiras religiajn; ili estas fine ebliĝinta solvi la maljunegan demandon
"kiel oni povas vivi sencerbe?".