[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Could we all compile a GPG keyring for this group?

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Sep 2 16:44:46 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 15:18 +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:

> "Open-source software is not suitable for the school environment"

This makes no sense at all, this is precisely the environment it should
be used in.

> "Microsoft Word does not crash on its own, it must be user error" (I
> look over her shoulder to a student who has been using the program for
> four seconds and it has crashed) "You mean like opening the
> program?" (I point) (She doesn't reply)

Things do have a habit of crashing on their own.

> "The fact that source code must be handled in using [FLOSS] means that
> the software is not user-friendly enough for students."

They obviously haven't a clue what free software actually is.
> All these are from the same person, a teacher. The actual techs are
> lazy arses who just reckon that the current cost of the RM service
> subscription and software (£17k for an Exchange server,
> £124/student/year) are acceptable as is the downtime and insecurity
> (we had a RAID disc fail once, and every single client computer had to
> have its OS reinstalled over a period of weeks; and as mentioned, the
> following are blocked off: context menus, the run menu, my computer
> window, CLI because all of these allow one to bypass the
> client-side-only security software.)

My computing teacher 2 years ago uses Firefox, so not all teachers are
hopeless.

> Fortunately the headmaster is a little more open to suggestion, and
> even asked for a report on the feasibility of a partially Linux-based
> server system to be used in school. Unfortunately, the teacher
> mentioned above veto'd it.

Why, are they getting paid by MS to do that?

--
Bruce Cowan <https://launchpad.net/people/bruce89>