[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] setup/set-up, plugin/plug-in and login/log-in

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Sep 2 16:22:22 BST 2006

On Friday 01 September 2006 23:54, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com>
wrote:
> This certainly is a confusing issue. I came across an interesting Web site:
>
>   http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html
>
> The pages relevant to our discussion are here:
>
>   http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/login.html
>   http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/setup.html
>
> It is an American site, but it makes reference to international usage.

To distil what the author is saying, he accepts 'setup' and 'log-in' as nouns.
We could accept 'login' to create consistency with both 'setup' and standard
computer usage.

As a verb, the author prefers 'set up', and presumably also 'log-in' (he isn't
clear about it). We can change the latter to 'log in', again for consistency.
I don't believe that 'login' is as strongly established as verb as it is as a
noun.

The same rules should also carry across to 'plugin'.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

		Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates.
				Apache inside.