[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Voting has closed. We have a winner! [WAS: Wastebasket/Deleted Items]

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Sep 2 13:36:03 BST 2006

On Saturday 02 September 2006 20:25, Malcolm <malcolm.parsons at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 9/2/06, GrAnT GaLbRaiTh <manicka at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 02/09/06, Malcolm <malcolm.parsons at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > "Show 'Delete' context me&nu entries which bypass the trashcan"
> > >
> > > If "Deleted" items bypass the "Deleted Items Folder", then the name
> > > doesn't make much sense.
> >
> > what about...
> >
> > "Show 'Permanently Delete' context me&nu entries which bypass the
> > Deleted Items Folder"
>
> That could work, as could "Shred", "Destroy", "Wipe", etc.
>
> But then which verb do we use for a tool which prevents undeletion or
> other forensic analysis, like shred(1) tries to?
>
> Simple deletion isn't as permanent as you might think.

"Permanently Delete" doesn't sounds as extreme as shred/destroy/wipe. To the
majority of users, any deletion that bypasses the Deleted Items folder is
considered to be permanent.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

Tired of slowness, bugs, crashes, viruses, trojans, spyware, adware,
malware... ? Take back your computer. http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net