[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] setup/set-up, plugin/plug-in and login/log-in

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Fri Sep 1 12:06:50 BST 2006

Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> [login debate snippage]
>
> Just to throw another spanner in the works, let us examine a few different
> forms of the phrase/word, "log in"/"login":
>
> * logged in - "I am logged into the machine."
> * logs in - "He logs into the machine"
> * logging in - "I am logging into the machine."
>
> In these examples, there is no way to use "login" as a single word. The "log"
> is separated from the "in". Therefore, treating "login" as a discrete and
> single word creates inconsistencies with the other forms.

Arf.  It is inconsistent, isn't it?  However, if someone comes to us looking
to translate, say, /bin/login, which literally presents a login prompt, do
we then change that to log-in?  I'm wondering if there's a semantic context
to be applied here, at the risk of introducing inconsistencies.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      |  Tim: Your cheese game is strong.
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com | Zane: My cheese game. It's all about the