[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] The Deleted Items saga

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Oct 1 04:04:20 BST 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 12:54, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com>
wrote:
> On Sunday 01 October 2006 05:24, Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>
>
> wrote:
> > First of all, I do not like the changing of Wastebasket to Deleted
> > Items.  I think that neither of them are perfect, but Wastebasket is
> > slightly better as it is less awkward, and smaller.  Also, there is a
> > ambiguity in choosing either "Deleted items" or "Deleted items folder"
> > for a specific string.  I also think that consistency with other Linuxes
> > is paramount.  A poll of 30 people shouldn't decide a substantial change
> > in localisation policy.
> >
> > I realise that it's too late to back out of it for Edgy, but I think we
> > should revert back to Wastebasket for Edgy+1 until a consensus is found
> > on a better phrase (approved by gnome-uk too).
>
> Perhaps we were a bit hasty, but we are hardly the first to use this
> terminology. It is commonplace amongst mail clients, such as Google (and I
> also believe Yahoo) Mail and MS Outlook. Thunderbird uses a similar
> 'Deleted' designation.

Also, it would incorrect to say that we changed from 'Wastebasket' to 'Deleted
Items'. We had at least three different names for the same thing, with GNOME
using 'Wastebasket', KDE preferring 'Wastebin' and Thunderbird
employing 'Deleted'. This presents some unnecessary confusion, especially for
those who mix applications from different desktops/projects.

All we did was take an accepted en_GB translation and extend it to cover the
entire distribution. In doing so, we have improved consistency across the
board.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"It is an act of insanity and national humiliation to have a law prohibiting
the President from ordering assassination." - Henry Kissinger, 1975