[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Word substitution table

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Tue Jul 25 08:54:24 BST 2006

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 08:26, Jeff Bailes <thepizzaking at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 17:06 +0100, Ben Goodger wrote:
> > On 24/07/06, Ben Goodger <goodgerster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >         On 24/07/06, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com>
> >         wrote:
> >
> >                 Most en-US to en-GB translation work involves making
> >                 simple word
> >                 substitutions. This is quite laborious work, and would
> >                 probably be best done
> >                 with a script of some kind. To this end, I have
> >                 initiated a table of word
> >                 substitutions:
> >

> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EnglishTranslation/WordSubstitution
> >
> >         Hooray.
> >         Can we be sure that such a system will not be flawless?
> >         Certainly it will cut down the work, but we can't just run
> >         everything through this script and say "that's it, it's
> >         done".
> >

> >         Note also the differences in slang which are difficult to pick
> >         up, capitalisations, etc...
> >         This is a step forward, but by no means is it an end.
> >         Personally, I wouldn't bother with it when Firefox 2.0 comes
> >         out, with its integrated spelling checker - it will make it
> >         easier to spot "initialize" at any rate.
> >
> > Oh, and "fetus" is the correct spelling in Commonwealth English now,
> > due to our everso-wonderful government. Annoying, isn't it...
>
> The only Problem with that is if there is a command line option eg.
> '--color' the script would change that the '--colour' and people would
> wonder why it didn't work

Excellent point.

A script is not a substitute for human verification. It makes the translation
much faster, but the result must be checked by a human being before being
committed.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"Trouble arises when either science or religion claims universal jurisdiction,
when either religious dogma or scientific dogma claims to be infallible.
Religious creationists and scientific materialists are equally dogmatic and
insensitive. By their arrogance they bring both science and religion into
disrepute." - Freeman Dyson