[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Wiki for English translation effort

Enverex ben at atomnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 23 10:11:36 BST 2006

Ok I'm a little annoyed now at why linux programs feel the need to clear
the *£%"ing clipboard every time I close a program, so I just lost
everything I wrote out. Wonderful.

ANYWAY, as I was saying, I don't agree with any of the things in the
"Dialectical Differences" section other than "Trash". Disk/c depends on
context. A "Hard Disk" is still a "Hard Disk" over here. Disc refers
purely to a "round" object (in the 2D sense; the Frisbee was a disc, I
had a compact disc, etc). Plugin/Plug-in is also contextual. Plugin
being a computer application add-on while plug-in refers to an action "I
am going to plug-in my new mouse" etc. Programme and Program are also
computer separated, with Programme referring to a TV programme (ex) and
Program being a computer program, i.e. "I was watching a programme on
TV" and "Ben was getting annoyed with the Linux program clearing his
clipboard full of data". Be careful that over here we don't just call
everything "gasoline" too, petroleum is petrol and diesel is diesel.