[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Greasemonkey script for launchpad.net

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Aug 30 10:30:34 BST 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 05:54, Malcolm <malcolm.parsons at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/06, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com> wrote:
> > How does your script handle capitalised words and plurals? Does it
> > substitute in the correct forms of the words?
>
> For most words, letter case and any suffixes are ignored.
> I've decided not to do the substitution for you, the script will just
> give a list of suggestions.

IMHO that is an excellent approach. This kind of 'prosthetic' approach - where
the script helps the process but doesn't do it automatically - forces the
author to read and think about the whole string, not just the words that
require substitution. An automatic converter might encourage dependence and
laziness, and finer detail such as punctuation, grammar and style may become
ignored.

> Examples:
> http://pepsiman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/launchpad_with_greasemonkey.png
> http://pepsiman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/launchpad_with_greasemonkey2.png
>
> New version of the script:
> http://pepsiman.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/translate.user.js

I have updated the main page with these URLs.

How do you synchronise the word list on the wiki with the one in your script?
Considering that the wiki is constantly changing, manually updating the
script can be laborious and error-prone.

Can the script somehow provide a warning to users that it only checks words
for substitution and does not check punctuation, grammar or style? I would
not like translators depending upon it solely. They need to recognise the
limitations of the script.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"Lazy programmers are the best programmers. Think Tom Sawyer painting the
fence. That's intelligence. Requiring almost no effort is a big plus in my
book." - Linus Torvalds