[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] setup/set-up, plugin/plug-in and login/log-in

Melchior Mazzone melchior at mazzone.info
Mon Aug 28 03:03:15 BST 2006

On Monday 28 August 2006 01:43, William Anderson wrote:

> I didn't say dictionary.com should be a reference source, I understand it
> uses en-US as primary.  However, I and others don't say "I log into a
> machine", we say "I login to a machine".  There should definitely be
> deference to standard English usage wherever possible, however I would
> exempt computer usage specifically as using the "standard" may actually
> confuse things for newcomers to both Ubuntu and computing in general.

I say "I log into the machine",  just like I would say "I logged into the
machine" (rather than "loginned to the machine" ;)).

I agree with Sridhar, I think we should use  separate words (e.g. "log in")
for verbs, but for nouns, either hyphenated versions (e.g. "log-in") or run
together words (e.g. "login").

Melchior