[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Expanding the scope of the en-GB translation

Ben Goodger goodgerster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 14:59:20 BST 2006

On 19/08/06, Toby Smithe <toby.smithe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 22:48 +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 August 2006 22:05, William Anderson <neuro at well.com>
> wrote:

> Around
> 'rubbish
> you

> Differences"
> Dapper

> > > Where is the precedent for using "Rubbish Bin" in an operating
> system?  It
> > > sounds awfully unprofessional sounding to me.  I know "Trash" sounds
> no
> > > better, but can you imagine someone's face when they install an OS,
> > > selecting en-GB, and seeing "Rubbish Bin" on their desktop?
> >
> > On the whole, the effect is no different from "Wastebasket", "Recycle
> Bin", or
> > as you yourself have mentioned, "Trash". My point is that "Wastebasket"
> > sounds odd in many places but AFAIK "Rubbish Bin" is quite universal
> > worldwide (including the UK).
>
> I must agree that here - in Kent - Wastebasket sounds odd to me. I have
> never said it; but when reading the word, it's just rather a mouthful.
> I'd much agree that "Rubbish Bin" is much better, but a bit lengthy. It
> may also sound a bit alien to the conservative; who (at least here) know
> of the Rubbish Bin as the green "wheelie bin". Just "Rubbish" is
> probably better still, but still carries a strange feel to it. Trash is
> definitely a no-go, though.

As has been said, "Rubbish Bin" sounds a little like naming Nautilus "File
Cabinet" and the GIMP as "Artist's Workshop": it's nice to have a metaphor
(Heil HIG!) but it doesn't work very well here.

Google uses Deleted Items for GMail's "trash" folder. I think we should move
away from the bin metaphor and instead use something like "deleted items"
which is unambiguous.

--
Ben Goodger
#391382

Mi admiras religiajn; ili estas fine ebliĝinta solvi la maljunegan demandon
"kiel oni povas vivi sencerbe?".

--
Ben Goodger
#391382