Translating One Laptop Per Child

tegegne tefera tefera.tegegne at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:50:27 BST 2008

Selam Yoseph

I see that you have access to AAU students and the computer facility which
can be a very good place to get volunteers for the translation of OLPC and
other free and open source projects. This projects and AAU computer students
are a perfect match. Students get familiar with FOSS software, translations
will get more volunteers and the quality of the translation would be better
than any thing that is done by volunteers who are residing outside of the
country.
I will be glad to assist you and your students in use of the translation
tools and share my experience.

The use of pootle could be very daunting since the Internet connections in
Ethiopia can be painfully slow, unless some one decides to set up a pootle
server in AAU. For now the best way is to assign po files to students and
use a stand alone tools such as poedit to do the translation and update it
to pootle servers.

How about translation marathon. like http://babelport.com/news/1052 and
http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/416/15/21814.html . The possibilities
are unlimited.