Self Introduction

Tony White tony.mzungu at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:38:17 BST 2007

Hi Simon,

> I just joined the list

Welcome!

> ....Ubuntu. I like it - it's not that bad,

It's the best - for many reasons - not least, it's free - and will
always be so, whereas Red Hat, SuSE, etc. you have to pay for the
so-called 'enterprise version'

> ...using tarballs. Ubuntu says
> that my gcc cannot create executables - so I am unable to install
> applications.

Depends what you want to do - pre-built binaries are normally
installed via internet with apt-get (like debian) or aptitude, or
synaptic (gnome) or adept (kde) - but several methods are available
for off-line update/install - there is apt-on-cd which is a selection
of apps on a cd - and there is also a way to transfer from an online
system to an offline system.  You can also go to the repositories, and
download the .deb package you want, and install directly (but then you
might run into problems of unresolved dependencies).

If you want to download and build from source, then at least get your
machine online for long enough to install the pseudo-package
'build-essential' - which has all the gcc/make stuff for building
apps.

Also - most of the main apps are on the cd.

hth,
Tony