was: "I hate you" ;-).

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat May 7 16:02:04 UTC 2016

In public places where there is recognised authority, they have to comply
with certain rules.

One of those rules is that they can only exert their normal powers that
they have by way of their function, when they are recognisable as part of
that function. In other words, they must wear a uniform or in some other
way be distinguisable from other people.

The reason for this is explained by the simple fact that otherwise people
could mask as police officers and demand anything from anyone, while
claiming to be in the authority of law. And this can never happen. This is
why there are laws and rules against that.

What you do in the IRC channels is throw away that distinction and that
knowledge and that rule, and assume both roles at once, obfuscating what
needs to happen.

What I see you doing is acting as user first, and moderator after, in the
same discussion.

Because communication in good manners can only happen between equals, this
is called the SNAFU principle, explained as precisely that -- because of
that if you mix roles as a moderator, and assume both user status and mod
status at the same time, you are guaranteed to mess up any debate you are
having with your superior access to tools to guarantee that you win any
factual disagreement.

I am sure you understand this. But let me explain a little.

If there is factual disagreement and one of them, precisely the moderator,
has any ego surrounding the issue, that person might get offended by the
disagreement.

People who get offended by disagreement typically try to force the other
to shut up in whatever way. Normally, people have very little recourse to
do so. In a technical system like this, when one party has these powers to
silence another, this power will be used to win arguments of a factual
matter.

The same happens when you are locked up in e.g. psychiatry or even a real
prison. The one with the stick wins the debate. Always. I haven't been to
real prison, but I have been locked up in a psychiatric establishment for
a long time.

I now expect personal attacks from you based on that admission.

What you see happening in your channels is that disagreeing with a
moderator who was acting in the capacity of a regular user, leads to a
ban.

The only way to avoid it is to suck up to the moderator and say "oh yeah,
sorry, you are right". Then the mod is happy and you are allowed to stay.

They call this power abuse. They call this power corrupts. They call this
might is right. You really think you are impervious to that?

In police terms. They have different terms for "question" and "request".
By law, a person is allowed to reject compliance with a question. By law,
a person is compelled to agree with a request.

When police says "Would you like to step out of the car?" that is a
question and has a different legal status from "Sir, I order you to step
out of the car."

What you do as moderators is make these question-like non-obligatory
statements and then when a person says "No, I would not like to do that"
you silence or ban them when they speak again.

This IS power abuse.

No matter how much you can say it isn't, if ANY lawyer or attorney, judge
or person of wisdom would look at this from regular society? They would
agree with these sentiments because they are encoded in law and have been
for a long time.

And then you say "You were asked to do this thing."

Pardon me? If it was just a question, I was allowed to say no. That is the
basis of human conduct.

And now you make it appear as if the opposite is true. That if any person
asks you to do a certain thing, you have to comply.

And why? Because, and here it comes: "your conduct should not change
depending on whether a moderator was around". So it is no longer about
authority. Now it is about morality. These moderators do not just claim
authority over the channel. (Which actually they don't). They now claim
authority over the morality of all people residing in the channel.

As such they do not perform the function of keeping order. They perform
the function of keeping people in line with what they think people should
act and behave as.

Note particularly the word behave. They are moderating behaviour, but not
keeping order. Not as such.

They are not moderating acts. They are moderating behaviour, and this is a
distinction.

Call me primitive again now, please. I beg of you.

They are not responding to deeds. They are responding to questionable
behaviour.

According to them, of course.

By now you may wonder why I am saying this because there seems to be a
disconnect between my previous communication and my present one.

If police were to act the way you do, and of course they often do
especially in lesser developed countries, but in my country there would be
public hearings about it. "Sir, you were asked to step out of the car, you
didn't, and now you're arrested."

That sort of thing is illegal but it is what you do.

I am going to keep this short now, I think I have spent enough time on
this. This is about my third or fourth rewrite. Yes I have trouble writing
and being clear.

I will just repeat the following with an example to show what I am talking
about:

A #debian moderator tells me not to use "service networking restart" or
"systemctl restart networking" because: networking is not a daemon and as
such it cannot actually be restarted.

A completely pretentious distinction without practical relevance.

That moderator subsequently went on to ban me when I disagreed.

"service networking restart" does its job the way it is intended, and
moreover, there is no other way to do it (that I know of).

So I questioned his statements the way I would do with any normal person.
I said "Well apparently it does something, doesn't it?" "It kills my
network link" (I actually had an error in my interfaces file, apparently
resulting from a Debian upgrade). I said "Maybe it does something."

Because why on earth would someone feel the need to tell me not to use a
certain feature only out of principle?

It happens more. In a recent thread on SystemD someone told me not to use
ifconfig to acquire network device status.

He told me to use "ip -o a" which gives a vastly reduced set of
information and is not useful to be parsed by a human.

And he said "I hate that distributions have not deprecated it yet"
(ifconfig).

Linux people often have this habit of telling you what to do.

They are also telling you how to do a certain thing, as if there is only
one correct way.

The English phrase applies. There is more than one way to kill a cat. But
to many this thought is not acceptable. No, you will use THE way that we
have all agreed on is the only way that should be used.

I consider this deeply offensive. I am not to be told by random strangers
how to live my life.

Yet when I make an issue ouf of this in any IRC channel manned by Linux
people, I get into a fight with a moderator, because it is most often
moderators (that you cannot identify) making such statements.

And even if you could identify them, the way it is (because of past
experience for example) -- this is not acceptable human conduct. Telling
people how to behave, what to do, is not acceptable human conduct.

I was going to say "how to act" but they don't actually tell you what
choices to make. You are right about that. They leave you free in your
choice, but they still try to curtail what you /DO/. You are allowed to
make the choice to pursue a certain route, as long as you don't use the
commands that are necessary for it, so to speak. Useless distinction? Not
so.

When I first got into trouble in #ubuntu it was with a person called
Ikonia. She would remember. I am a 1000% sure it is a woman, because no
man would behave like that.

Some have identity disorders though, but that aside.

First I didn't know she was a moderator, but that shouldn't have mattered.
She was aggressively pursuing a path of dissuading a person to do a
certain thing that she considered the "wrong" thing to do. "Do it right."
she said. She said "I disagree. Do it right."

The person was relaxed about it and toyed with it a little. He said "Well,
the more objections you give, the more stuff I think of I need to do
before I reboot". She was complaining that he was still talking about the
issue she thought she had cut short.

She had said "Maybe technically it is possible, but it is not acceptable."

"The risks are not acceptable."

Pardon me? You can decide for another what risks are acceptable for him?

The issue, namely, was a choice between driving a few hours to a remote
server location and doing things at site, and performing a risky operation
that, if it failed, would end up him having to drive there anyway. So the
worst case scenario would be him having to drive there anyway, which he
would need to do regardless if he didn't attempt it. There was no risk.
There was no loss. There was no danger.

I am trying to find my IRC log of it (yours). Thus far, check out this one
if you will:

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2016/01/01/%23ubuntu.html

And search "Ikonia". Exact same behaviour. Different person. Exact same
behaviour. In Dutch we call that "schofferen". It appears to translate to
"violate, desecrate". She is ordering that person around, the other person
chimes in and also starts ordering him around to avoid a discussion. That
person was not hostile like I may have been. That person was patient and
at first said polite things such as "You realize you are not helping me?"
And Ikonia responds "Your attitude is not acceptable to me."

I am reminded of "In order to be a master, you first have to serve." And
Ikonia is not serving here, she is just ordering around.

This person is a terror.

And I know for a fact people are going to belittle this now the way I have
written it.

In the end that person posted the requested fdisk output after which
Ikonia immediately lost interest. By complying with her demands, the
momentum was lost and everyone lost interest.

Apparently they coudln't solve it. But they also did not try. They just
tried to achieve the system they wanted without actually being interested
in his question.

By my standards this current document is a horrible email as I have
suppressed most of my emotion to begin with, which is why it will seem
extremely disconnected.

You may not understand why I am writing this at all, and I understand
that. I am tempted to delete the whole thing.

Yet I am going to send this now and say "fuck it, fuck everything".

Sometimes you have to not care, right?

Maybe in the end something will come out of it, but don't expect it of me,
please.

Oh yes and I was going to say I apologize for not having put in a header.
That could be considered a misconfigured email client.

I mean a subject header. See ya, and ruin my day if you can.

You people are good at it anyway.