IRC Council election in process

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 5 01:43:22 UTC 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Neal Bussett <neal at bussett.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The election for the IRC Council has started.  We are filling three
>> seats on the IRCC.  There are five candidates:
>> hggdh (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hggdh)
>> Na3iL (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Na3iL)
>> rww (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/rww)
>> Tm_T (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JussiKekkonen)
>> unit193 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unit193)
>>
>> All members of the Ubuntu IRC Team are eligible to vote and should have
>> received an email from CIVS a moment ago.  If you have NOT received an
>> email from CIVS, please contact me.
>>
>> Voting is expected to end in approximately two weeks, on Monday, April
>> 4th at 07:00 UTC.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Neal
>> (Flannel)
>
> Hi folks, I've written to Neal privately, because I didn't yet get a
> ballot. It turns out that I didn't get a ballot because I'm not on the
> lp team https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-irc-members. This seems to be a
> closed team; there is no "join this team" button on the lp page.
> However, there is a link to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/Membership --
> and this page, which offers Ubuntu Membership through IRC work, seems
> to be the only way to join the Ubuntu IRC Team. Is this so?
>
> I'm a operator on the Kubuntu channels, not just because I'm an
> experienced IRC chanop, but also because I'm a Kubuntu Councillor. I
> participate in the #ubuntu-ops channel, because I'm an op on a core
> channel. And yet I'm not a member of the ubuntu irc team?

All of us have had to apply to be part of the IRC membership, even if
we're Ubuntu Members through other processes already. Just like
someone would to become a Kubuntu member or member via the Forums,
they all have their own additional processes, even if you're already
an Ubuntu member. I'm sure with your background you'd have no problem
applying and being added.

I don't think there is an automatic way in Launchpad to say "if you're
in this team, you're eligible to join this other team" and we can't
have it wide open since IRC membership grants the same rights as full
Ubuntu Membership, it's just a different process of getting it. It
also hasn't been the policy of making all Ubuntu Members automatically
IRC Members (just like they aren't automatically Forum Members or
Kubuntu Members), since you do have to be interested and show an
investment in the community to make your inclusion in the team make
sense.

If the process is too complex for IRC Membership, it can certainly be discussed.