IRC Council election in process

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:51:18 UTC 2016

>>> Na3iL (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Na3iL)
>>> rww (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/rww)
>>> Tm_T (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JussiKekkonen)
>>> unit193 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unit193)
>>>
>>> All members of the Ubuntu IRC Team are eligible to vote and should have
>>> received an email from CIVS a moment ago.  If you have NOT received an
>>> email from CIVS, please contact me.
>>>
>>> Voting is expected to end in approximately two weeks, on Monday, April
>>> 4th at 07:00 UTC.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Neal
>>> (Flannel)
>>
>> Hi folks, I've written to Neal privately, because I didn't yet get a
>> ballot. It turns out that I didn't get a ballot because I'm not on the
>> lp team https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-irc-members. This seems to be a
>> closed team; there is no "join this team" button on the lp page.
>> However, there is a link to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/Membership --
>> and this page, which offers Ubuntu Membership through IRC work, seems
>> to be the only way to join the Ubuntu IRC Team. Is this so?
>>
>> I'm a operator on the Kubuntu channels, not just because I'm an
>> experienced IRC chanop, but also because I'm a Kubuntu Councillor. I
>> participate in the #ubuntu-ops channel, because I'm an op on a core
>> channel. And yet I'm not a member of the ubuntu irc team?
>>
>> I believe we should lower the barrier a bit here, and open up
>> membership to all of those active and participating in IRC help,
>> whether or not they became Ubuntu Members through the IRC Team.
>>
>> Respectfully,
>>
>> Valorie Zimmerman
>> https://launchpad.net/~valorie-zimmerman
>> Member since: 2009-04-11

Hi Laura, I don't know if there would have been a different outcome. I
don't know how many people are in my situation, where I was told about
the election, but didn't look for my invitation to vote until the
final day -- and not find it.

It was confusing to be informed about the election, talk to the
candidates, prepare to vote, and then not be able to do so, and not
know why. This procedure didn't seem to follow the clarity that
usually follows Ubuntu governance, and I think aligning the "voting
population" with those doing the work would be a good change.

Valorie