Banned Words (Was: RFC: #ubuntu op misuse or not?)

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue May 20 06:08:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Joseph Price <pricechild at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 19 May 2014 21:21, C de-Avillez <hggdh2 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> Now, for a sort of sideways issue. Reading your email I cannot dispel
>> the feeling of irony permeating it.
>

> Oh you've caught me! With all of those percontation points I may not have
> been offering my real opinion in order to make a point...
>
> On 19 May 2014 22:22, Peter Matulis <peter.matulis at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/19/2014 04:21 PM, C de-Avillez wrote:
>> > Some words carry heavy meaning, *even* when used in a different
>> > context. Swearing, for example (whatever language); but, even then, I
>> > would not block "FUBAR" from being used. Some other words do not.
>> > Dictator is one of them, and examples of it being used in an (for me)
>> > acceptable way have already been given.
>>
>> I echo this sentiment.  It's the way in which words are used as well as
>> their context that is important and channel operators need to be able to
>> deal with that.  There is nothing inherently wrong whatsoever with the
>> words dictator or blitzkrieg.
>

> Fantastic!
>
> Valorie, what are you thinking?

My first entrance to the free software world was Linuxchix. At lcx, we
have only two rules: 1. be polite, and 2. be helpful.

I've always found those sparely-worded rules the most useful of CoCs
I've seen. All words can be used politely, kindly, and helpfully, or
cruelly, mocking and bullying. It is up to each of us to choose to be
polite and helpful, and up to the ops to keep the channels polite and
helpful.

Personally, I have a rather foul mouth, but I try to keep it clean in
IRC, because text is so easily misunderstood. Also, I've noticed that
every time I stop, take a second to breathe, and then take the high
road in a conversation, I come out of the encounter feeling good about
it. It is worthwhile always, to be polite and helpful.

In the conversation with Rohan, I lost sight of the fact that not
everyone has the same thoughts and feelings about words that I connect
with true horror. That said, I would hate to see a list of prohibited
words. I don't want to work for MiniTru.

Valorie

PS: Use of George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words will get you muted
though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words