My membership and discussion with the IRCC

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 15:41:22 UTC 2014

I'd also like to add that there was some language in the logs that seemed
rude and inconsistent with the CoC especially on an official channel.

On Feb 25, 2014 4:54 AM, "Vantrax" <Vantrax at gmail.com> wrote:

> I concur. There has been a bit to much silliness lately and a little too
little ubuntu.

> I think collectively we really need to take a deep breath and focus on
honesty and integrity. The tone of that conversation, while subjective,
does not seem to indicate a lot of honesty.  In particular asking a
question 'whether your position is tenable' is effectively a request to
show cause why you shouldn't be removed in every interpretation I can think
of. Saying that is not a 'trial' is disingenuous at best, factoring in
possible language barriers.

> -Matthew Lye
>
>  Leadership is responsibility, not priviledge, Action, not position,
Guidance, not knowledge, and outcome, not disposition.
> <No trees were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> FWIW I think your contributions to the community have been great. I
can't fully gather why all this went down but whatever the reason its said
to see you give up your Ubuntu membership.

>> On Feb 24, 2014 8:43 PM, <ljlbox at tiscali.it> wrote:
>> >
>> > Tonight, I've given up the Ubuntu membership I acquired in 2007.
>> >
>> > It was a decision that came after several events where feelings
>> > were involved, though I consider one thing a climax in particular,
>> > and it is when I was asked by the IRC Council to join their
>> > #ubuntu-irc-council channel to discuss some things.
>> >
>> > The way I see what happened goes like this:
>> > - I was asked "what I was going to do", then reassured it wasn't
>> >   a "trial" or attempt to "oust" me when I was perplexed at what
>> >   that question was even intended to mean
>> > - I was more explicitly asked to explain how I thought "my
>> >   position as an op was tenable", while still being reassured
>> >   it was not anything resembling a "trial"
>> > - eventually it was made a fair bit clearer that the whole thing
>> >   was, in fact, spawned by complaints about needing to "do some-
>> >   thing" about my terrible attitude, and by the "recent event"
>> >   (deciding to take rww's suggestion to remove the FloodBots)
>> > - I explained how I thought my position was quite tenable, and,
>> >   on the other hand, how some other people's position wasn't so
>> >   much
>> > - I was basically told that the discussion was over, and when I
>> >   almost begged the members who were clearest about it being over
>> >   to at least explain how they thought they could reconcile their
>> >   trial-style questions with all the reassurances they gave me
>> >   about it being only a discussion, I was only met with their
>> >   silence.
>> >

>> > http://privatepaste.com/5f40b2ac8a has full logs of the discussion,
>> > which I've been authorized to provide. Those of you who are actually
>> > serious about the idea of a community where people's feelings and
>> > motivations matters, please read these logs, even though they're long.
>> >

>> > As to the people who've expressed their support towards me during
>> > the past months: thank you. Now please also consider speaking up
>> > right here, because I know you were more numerous than the "3 or 4"
>> > people who complained about me that the IRCC mentioned.
>> > Maybe you are less numerous now, after me acting so vocally, but
>> > remember what you thought about my stances.
>> >

>> > by LjL
>> > ljlbox at tiscali.it
>> >
>> > Scopri istella, il nuovo motore per il web italiano.
>> > Istella garantisce risultati di qualità e la possibilità di
condividere, in modo semplice e veloce, documenti, immagini, audio e video.