Features enabled in ubottu for channel ops

John Chiazzese oneidle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 17:45:27 UTC 2014

Hello everybody,

As some of you may already be aware, ubottu,our favorite Ubuntu info
bot,has the ability to remove bans and quiets set in #ubuntu.
<http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu.>  This feature has been
available for quite some time and it was always meant to be enabled,
after some testing, in the rest of the core channels [1]. The IRCC has
finally decided to enabled this feature in some of the core channels. We
decided to leave a few out because we feel that those channels are not
active enough to need it, but the feature can be enabled in those
channels also if the ops of those  channels would like it to be.

*Which channels have this feature?*

#ubuntu-offtopic. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu-offtopic.>
#ubuntu+1. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu+1.>
#kubuntu-offtopic. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=kubuntu-offtopic.>
#kubuntu. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=kubuntu.>
#ubuntu-irc. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu-irc.>
#ubuntu-ops. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu-ops.>
#ubuntu-release-party.
<http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu-release-party.>
#ubuntu-server. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu-server.>
#xubuntu-offtopic. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=xubuntu-offtopic.>
#xubuntu. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=xubuntu.>
#edubuntu. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=edubuntu.>
#lubuntu. <http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=lubuntu.>

*What does this mean?*

- Channel ops can now set a @comment and @duration on the ban (if they
chose to)[2] [3]
- ubottu now has the +o flag in the above listed channels (required for
ubottu to be able to remove bans).
- When an op removes a user from the channel, sets a ban, or sets a
quiet/mute on a user, ubottu will send a private message to that op with
the relevant ban ID requesting for a @comment to be set. This can be
safely ignored by the op if they chose to not set a @comment
- If no comment has been set, ubottu will send a review request after 7
days (This can also be safely ignored).

*Why has this feature been enabled?*

- The hope is that it will help the all the ops of the different core
channels to better manage the channels they have +o in.
- Setting comments on kicks/bans/quiets helps other channel ops to
understand the reasons when trying to resolve the ban with the user in
question.

If you have any questions please feel free to join #ubuntu-irc
<http://pad.ubuntu.com/ep/search?query=ubuntu-irc>and ask. We will be
happy to assist.

IdleOne
On behalf of the Ubuntu IRC Council