An open letter to the Ubuntu IRC community and wider Ubuntu community

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 30 21:36:26 UTC 2013

On 30/10/13 19:14, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for reaching out with your concerns. It is always important
> that we grow a culture of respect and collaboration and our
> communication channels are a key part of this. If we are seeing a
> growing culture of aggressive enforcement of our IRC channels, I agree
> that this is something we need to resolve - our IRC channels should be
> welcoming, collaborative, and our IRC Team should be helping our
> contributors to understand the culture of using those channels.
yes we certainly want to have a welcoming environment to those who want
to engage constructively, and fairly swift action to remove those who's
only goal is to disrupt and annoy people. We are discussing the content
and substance of the letter on IRC (#ubuntu-ops channel) at the moment,
we will probably send a summary to the list(s) at some point, everyone
should feel free to chime into the discussion with their opinion using
whatever medium they are most comfortable with.
> Our governance structure is in place to handle cases such as this, and
> my recommendation is that the IRC Council reviews these concerns and
> recommends a set of next steps. If this issue has been raised with the
> IRC Council and you are dissatisfied with the recommended next steps,
> it would make sense to escalate it to the Community Council.
>
> I do though feel it is important that we follow this escalation path.
> To what extent has this been reviewed with the IRC Council and what
> were the outcomes?
to be honest it comes a bit of a surprise :) but that is fine, everyone
likes a surprise now and again.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk