verne.freenode.net Packet filtered and IPv6

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Sun May 27 15:23:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Chuck Peters <cp at axs.org> wrote:
> Yesterday verne.freenode.net stopped working.  It looks like they are
> firewalling the IRC server.  Anyone know why?

Tunnelbroker has started blocking IRC for new non-BGP tunnels. If you
are a Sage, you can re-enable it [1]. verne has several thousand users
connected to it, so it being firewalled off is most likely not going
to be the issue. Also, keep in mind that ping is probably not the best
method to check the host, as they are sometimes filtered. We have been
able to confirm that verne is still accepting v4 and v6 connections,
so the problem is most likely either due to the Tunnelbroker block or
some other local issue. If you have further questions or comments,
feel free to direct them to support at freenode.net or ask in #freenode
on IRC.

Thanks,
Nathan Handler (nhandler)