New roles in the Ubuntu IRC team

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 30 13:59:42 UTC 2011

Hi Miia,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Miia Ranta <myrtti+ubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 October 2011 17:29, Chris Oattes <chris at cjo20.net> wrote:
>> As it is now, if one person on the IRCC is away for a long time, then two members of the council can hold up and essentially dismiss an issue, no matter how much of the community disagrees. When the entire community is involved, this isn't an issue.
>
> Here's another idea, which may or may not be viable, but I think it's
> worth thinking, and not only in the case of IRCC:
>
> Vice/Spare members. Each council member would have an assigned vice
> councillor, who'd stand up and act as the council member, if the
> official one isn't available at the meeting, or otherwise. They'd
> obviously need to participate in every aspect of decision- and policy
> making and everyday functions of the council, but they wouldn't have a
> vote unless the actual council member isn't available. This would
> a) remove the problem of decisions being postponed due to lack of quorum
> b) spread the workload to double the amount of people
> c) ease the assignment of responsibilities
> d) broaden the viewpoints
> etc.

Thanks for suggesting this - I like it generally,  but I wonder how
would these people be appointed?

I see 2 routes for this:

1. These people are chosen by the appointed IRCC members. This would
allow the member to find someone they trust, someone they would be
willing to assign their vote to.

or

2. These people would nominate and be voted on as per the current way
of appointing ircc members, giving the CC more control.

Both these routes have pro's and cons, and I'd be interested to hear
peoples views and reasons for one way or the other - or some other
ideas? . I would hope CC members might chip in with some comments on
here also.

> I know this can be difficult in the current climate where people
> aren't exactly flocking to volunteer tthemselves for Council
> nominations, but I still wanted to get this idea out there.
>
> Miia "Myrtti" Ranta

Once again though, this sounds a good idea.

BR

Jussi.