New roles in the Ubuntu IRC team

Juha Siltala topyli at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 28 15:01:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 17:29, Chris Oattes <chris at cjo20.net> wrote:

> By having the community as the central body that the other teams report back to, rather than the community reporting to the teams, it would be far more obvious to everyone involved what is going on and where tasks are getting stalled. Items couldn't disappear in to the black hole that is the IRCC because everyone would be able to see who has what task, be able to question them directly and do something to take it over if something stops progressing. It also reduces on reliance on a specific few people within the community. As it is now, if one person on the IRCC is away for a long time, then two members of the council can hold up and essentially dismiss an issue, no matter how much of the community disagrees. When the entire community is involved, this isn't an issue.

I'm afraid "the community" is not a body you can feasibly report to,
or be answerable to. Currently, the IRC Council answers to the
Community Council. The CC in turn is AFAIK the only democratically
elected institution in the Ubuntu community, which makes it
representative of the community at least in theory.

I'm fairly sure following your suggestion would only lead to
disorganization and even less stuff getting done. As for being able to
question the IRCC this is possible, and desirable, right now.

Further, while I agree that some items have taken a long time from the
IRCC to address, I have difficulty in locating any black hole. We have
been more effective after we implemented a proper issue tracker, and
old items do get done. The black hole seems to be a fashionable word
right now, but I'm not aware of anything in the real world that it
might refer to.

--
Juha Siltala
http://ubuntu.com