New roles in the Ubuntu IRC team

Fri Oct 28 13:16:53 UTC 2011

On 28 Oct 2011, at 13:59, Juha Siltala <topyli at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,

> However, I still seem to have to remind you that getting rid of the
> IRCC is not a feasible proposition. We can empower the team more, but
> there needs to be a body which communicates with freenode and resolves
> disputes.
>
> Democracy is something you'll easier find elsewhere, sorry.

It is feasible. IRC went from essentially being run by one person to a bureaucratic mess. There is a happy middle ground. As I have suggested, and you seem to have neglected to read, you could still set up a separate conflict resolution team. My memory is a little hazy, but I believe a separate conflict resolution team was originally Jussi's idea, before the IRCC was introduced. The same could apply to freenode GCs, nominate 4 people and they can do that job (you do like delegation, don't you?). There isn't a good reason that the people that make decisions, communicate with freenode and provide conflict resolution need to be the same people. Indeed, from the sounds of the posts in the thread, the IRCC would struggle to devote enough time to comprehensively cover any one of these tasks.

Chris (Seeker`)