New roles in the Ubuntu IRC team

Anthony Hook anthony.hook3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:59:32 UTC 2011

> In fact, this is quite the opposite. This is designed to reduce the
> amount of hoops people jump through to get things done. Its designed
> to minimise the work we need to do by organising and planning the work
> that needs to be done.
> The champions/people/$name_you_feel_like_calling_them for each area
> would be responsible for planning how the item they are responsible
> for would be looked after, gather ideas from the team to make it
> better and generally looking after the items “wellbeing”. Please note,
> the items I listed were only ideas that came to me, not a definate
> list that must be adhered to (as I mentioned in the first email) - so
> please feel free to say "heres an area I'm interested in, I can do
> this".

An idea similar to this is the person who volunteered to be our 'scribe' for
our LoCo and responsible for Team Reporting.  Instead of having me (the
Contact) do it, people volunteer for these delegated things.

If I'm understanding correctly, Jussi is asking for something of similar
structure (checking factoids and links, etc, etc), and take on a more
autonomous role; having the autonomy to accomplish tasks on their own, and
able to bring up things to the council.  The important part is in a
'structured' way.  You can't build a tower if you don't have a basic
structure.  This idea isn't terribly different from how Ubuntu LoCo's
operate in general.  It seems to be working for Wisconsin, anyway.

> How many of our factoids are out of date?  Have all of our documents
> been checked for up-to-dateness? Have we got stale channels in the
> channel list?  Misused channels? Who checks these? Who organises that
> all this happens in a timely manner? (and many more questions)

Perfect for people to volunteer, one has done already.

> All I am proposing is that we have people who are willing to take on a
> role, and give them a name/position and list them somewhere. Then, if
> someone is not sure about something happening in a particular area,
> they can go to that list and find the person and talk about the road
> map, offer to help, make a suggestion etc. This also helps when the
> IRC team needs to report what is happening to the CC, all that is
> needed from each person is a single line status, making up our IRC
> team report simply and easily.

Team contacts?  I like it.

Thanks for your time, I hope I'm helping.

--
- Anthony Hook