New roles in the Ubuntu IRC team

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 25 16:25:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Juha Siltala <topyli at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 15:43,  <chris at cjo20.net> wrote:
>> It seems that the list of duties is basically a list of things that the
>> IRCC should be doing themselves already. If they are saying 'we do not
>> have enough time to be doing the things we should be doing', then there
>> either needs to be
>
> That is why this proposal exists, to fix the above. Delegation is
> appropriate when work is overwhelming the current workforce.

I think this is worth repeating. There is currently a lot of work on
the shoulders of all board and council members within the Ubuntu
project and lack of delegation is a problem. Councils should be
responsible for making sure things get done, NOT doing all the work
themselves - in fact, I think something is wrong if the Council
members are doing everything.

That said, I like this proposal as long as it doesn't add bureaucracy
to the appeals, proposals or any other process within the community
(the "policy review" role is the only one that troubles me here). It's
clear from casual observation and now the Ubuntu Community Survey[0]
that the CC put together with Jono Bacon that the bureaucratic barrier
is already a problem.

And as small as I think it may be, I love the idea of changing the
meeting name to "IRC Team meeting" - it may seem symbolic at first but
I think it's absolutely a step in the right direction, I think more
openness in the team will go a long way.

Thanks for putting this together.

[0] http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/10/24/ubuntu-community-survey-results/

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2