Loco Bot logging localisation

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Feb 4 22:27:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

After a related conversation in #ubuntu-irc about channel logging, I
joined a bunch of LoCo channels to see if I was told that the channel
was logged. The good news is that they all told me that the channel
was logged. The bad news is that most told me in English, in non-En
channels.

22:15:55 [freenode] -locobot_2(~UbuntuLoc at xvm-188-65.ghst.net)-
#ubuntu-de: Dieser Kanal wird protokolliert (auf
http://logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode). Bitte beachtet den Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Danke!
22:15:58 [freenode] -locobot_1(~UbuntuLoc at xvm-188-65.ghst.net)-
#Ubuntu-es: The channel is logged (at
http://logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode). Please observe the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Thank you!
22:16:05 [freenode] -locobot_1(~UbuntuLoc at xvm-188-65.ghst.net)-
#ubuntu-it: The channel is logged (at
http://logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode). Please observe the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Thank you!
22:16:15 [freenode] -locobot_1(~UbuntuLoc at xvm-188-65.ghst.net)-
#ubuntu-ru: The channel is logged (at
http://logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode). Please observe the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Thank you!
22:16:28 [freenode] -locobot_1(~UbuntuLoc at xvm-188-65.ghst.net)-
#ubuntu-pt: The channel is logged (at
http://logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode). Please observe the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Thank you!
22:16:33 [freenode] -locobot_4(~UbuntuLoc at ubuntu/bot/locobot)-
#ubuntu-ar: The channel is logged (at
http:/logs.ubuntu-eu.org/freenode). Please observe the Ubuntu Code of
Conduct. Thank you!

Given our responsibility to inform people joining IRC channels in our
namespace about logging, it seems sensible to me that we should at
least tell people in their own language. How can we ensure loco bots
are announcing notices like this in the 'right' language?

Cheers,
Al.