Motion to suspend eir

Robert Wall robert at rww.name
Sun Aug 21 20:38:19 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 01:01:12PM -0700, Neal Bussett wrote:
> I motion we suspend the experiment with eir for the time being.  I think
> it would be prudent to do so immediately and not wait for discussion at
> the next meeting.

I agree. In its current form, it's more annoying than useful. I can't
make the next meeting, but even if I could I think this is a
non-controversial enough sentiment that it doesn't need discussion
before removal. #ubuntu-ops-team has been constant complaining about it
since its implementation.

> I think it's become apparent over the past few days that eir doesn't
> integrate well with our operator work flow and our current bot
> ecosystem; we need to take a step back and figure out how better to
> address our needs.  At this time, eir is not a workable solution for us.

It integrates fine with my workflow for my own bans, though I'm
atypical. It doesn't fit well with our philosophy that ops should be
able to edit each others bans, and it /really/ doesn't work well with
the Floodbots.

I do find eir useful for my own use, and would like it in #ubuntu*, but
I think at this point it's obvious that we need to roll our own with
customizations to allow ops to edit each others' (and the Floodbots')
bans, and take a hard look at the configuration for default ban length
and how long there is between expiration intervals.

--
Robert Wall
robert at rww.name | http://rww.name/