Policy on extra-namespace trolling

Lorenzo J. Lucchini ljlbox at tiscali.it
Thu Apr 28 14:53:28 UTC 2011

<ljlbox at tiscali.it>wrote:
> > Freenode itself discourages such activities
>
> URL?
>
> I believe you;  I would like to see how they worded it and what they do
> about violations.

I'd say the relevant policy sections are

http://freenode.net/policy.shtml#offtopic ("In accordance with UK law freenode
and the PDPC have no tolerance for any activity which could be construed as
[...] or any other behaviour meant to deliberately bring upon a person
harassment, alarm or distress")

http://freenode.net/policy.shtml#topicalchannels ("These channels should not
be used as platforms for flaming and trolling")

The latter specifically refers to "##" channels; however it seems obvious that
if such behaviors are not acceptable on them, they're even less so on
primary "#" channels.

I should probably point out that these policies have previously been enforced,
perhaps in an even stricter way than the letter suggests.

by LjL
ljl at ubuntu.com