#ubuntu-offtopic channel topic

Matt Darcy ubuntu.lists at projecthugo.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 10:18:44 UTC 2010

I've listened to all the valid opposing comments from Tony, Juha,
Lorenzo and Anthony, and I fully agree that if you feel that is the
place for general "offtopic" chatter, then who am I to disagree.

I' also like to point out I'm not trying to get another channel, eg:
#ubuntu-offtopic-offtopic, I just want the offtopic community channel to
just not be rubbish and have a place where you can have a discussion on
Ubuntu that's not support related with out someone jumping in with OMG
HAVE YOU HEARD LADY GAGA !!!!

That said, if you feel the offtopic channel is the place for the
community to be offtopic then I go back to my original request for
merging the offtopic channels together to get a better offtopic
community and few channels in the already massive #ubuntu name space
channel. bring the community together, as stated above by most of the
opposing comments that its a community place, so lets bring it together
and actually try to have discussion in it.

I don't like the idea of 10+ offtopic channels all being the same
rambling spew, and having no place to actually discuss Ubuntu
discussion/issues, in my eyes they are linked (maybe wrongly).

I like the idea that Tony has suggested about having to actually be part
of the community to use the channel, we have a number of people that are
nothing to do with Ubuntu in any way beyond using #ubuntu-offtopic as
they find it a nice social channel, while a positive thing is that also
what #ubuntu-offtopic should be a channel for anyone to join and be
sociable in, or is it for the Ubuntu community ? - I'm not saying kick
people out or have a test or anything like, just food for thought.

Matt