New procedure for gateway/webchat users

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 5 06:55:44 UTC 2010

Hi All,

We have been trialling and have now implemented a new procedure so
that webchat users get a much better experience. This is currently
only active in #ubuntu, we will activate it in other floodbot areas
soon.

How it works is that instead of users from gateways being redirected
to #ubuntu-proxy-users, given their +e and asked to rejoin, users are
now allowed to directly join #ubuntu, where they are muted and cannot
speak. once the floodbot has checked they are not a banned host, they
are granted +e (exception to the mute) and can speak normally in the
channel, without any action require from their part.

This whole process takes only a few seconds (depending on lag) and is
seamless to the user, thus providing a much better experience.

Please let us know if you experience any problems and a big thanks to
LjL for implementing this so quickly.

Jussi Schultink
Ubuntu IRC Council