Proposal: Ubuntu Operator channel changes

IdleOne oneidle at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 20:50:26 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 18:01 +0000, Matt Darcy wrote:
> On 07/11/10 17:47, Jussi Schultink wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have been talking with a few people and mulling over this proposal
> > for sometime now and I'd like to share it with you all now to get some
> > outside feedback.
> >
> > First, I want to list a few things that have prompted me and others to
> > think about this:
> >
> > I have seen complaints from some ops saying there needs to be a
> > channel only for ops, where discussion, help and co-ordination between
> > operators can go on.
> >
> > I have seen people saying its too hard for ops outside the core
> > channels to learn, interact and co-ordinate with ops from the core
> > channels
> >
> > I have seen complaints that there are different standards across the
> > Ubuntu IRC namespace.
> >
> > I have noticed that there are not enough people interested in becoming operators
> >
> > There is more than this, but its not hitting my mind right now.
> >
> > So, with these things in mind, Id like to propose the following IRC
> > structure for our namespace:
> >
> > #ubuntu-ops-collab (or similar named channel) This is the
> > collaboration channel. It allows operators to talk in real-time about
> > how to deal with situations, share information, and co-ordinate things
> > across the namespace. this channel will be logged, with a delay (as
> > #ubuntu-ops is now) CoC compliant (as all #ubuntu-* channels should
> > be) and invite only for any operator in the namespace.
> >
> > #ubuntu-ops - this is the resolution channel. It is no-idle for non
> > ops, but its scope is extended across the namespace, for any chanop in
> > an English language channel. It will not be compulsory for ops to idle
> > there, but heavily encouraged. This channel allows people to have
> > resolutions to issues done in a logged channel, making it simple and
> > easy to reference.
> >
> > #ubuntu-irc - this is the general Ubuntu IRC enquiries channel. for
> > cloaks, help with irc, and other similar issues.
> >
> > I think that these changes will help better unify our namespace, and
> > bring new experience into the ops team and give better overall service
> > to the namespace channels.
> >
> > Do you think this would be beneficial? do you have any ideas that I
> > might be missing?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Jussi
> >
> > (Written from me personally, not on behalf of the IRCC)
>

> Jussi,
>
> I feel another -ops channel that is logged is pointless, the whole issue
> with the logging in -ops is that the people causing the issues, read the
> logs and come back using it as way to target operators or loop holes.
> The resolution channel should be logged, but a private discussion
> channel for the operators to discuss issues with users, channels,
> technical issues with operating, needs to not be monitored.

I think the discussions with users should be held in the logged channel
at all times. PM are acceptable but only when it involves preempting a
op action to be taken on the user. Once the action, removal/ban has been
taken any further discussion with that user should be logged in the -ops
channel.

I also think that there should be a separate and private/invite only
(not logged) channel for the operator team. I am not going to even get
into the whole channel op/core-op thing. if you op in #ubuntu or
#kubuntu or #xubuntu etc. a channel for all the ops to talk privately
about a potential risk to any of our channels is needed. Like Matt
pointed out those users read the logs and then use them against us.

IdleOne.