Proposal: Ubuntu Operator channel changes

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 7 17:47:16 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have been talking with a few people and mulling over this proposal
for sometime now and I'd like to share it with you all now to get some
outside feedback.

First, I want to list a few things that have prompted me and others to
think about this:

I have seen complaints from some ops saying there needs to be a
channel only for ops, where discussion, help and co-ordination between
operators can go on.

I have seen people saying its too hard for ops outside the core
channels to learn, interact and co-ordinate with ops from the core
channels

I have seen complaints that there are different standards across the
Ubuntu IRC namespace.

I have noticed that there are not enough people interested in becoming operators

There is more than this, but its not hitting my mind right now.

So, with these things in mind, Id like to propose the following IRC
structure for our namespace:

#ubuntu-ops-collab (or similar named channel) This is the
collaboration channel. It allows operators to talk in real-time about
how to deal with situations, share information, and co-ordinate things
across the namespace. this channel will be logged, with a delay (as
#ubuntu-ops is now) CoC compliant (as all #ubuntu-* channels should
be) and invite only for any operator in the namespace.

#ubuntu-ops - this is the resolution channel. It is no-idle for non
ops, but its scope is extended across the namespace, for any chanop in
an English language channel. It will not be compulsory for ops to idle
there, but heavily encouraged. This channel allows people to have
resolutions to issues done in a logged channel, making it simple and
easy to reference.

#ubuntu-irc - this is the general Ubuntu IRC enquiries channel. for
cloaks, help with irc, and other similar issues.

I think that these changes will help better unify our namespace, and
bring new experience into the ops team and give better overall service
to the namespace channels.

Do you think this would be beneficial? do you have any ideas that I
might be missing?

Cheers

Jussi

(Written from me personally, not on behalf of the IRCC)