Perhaps it would be wise to open #Ubuntu-LTS?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Tue May 11 00:04:35 UTC 2010

On 11 May 2010 01:26, Jason Ribeiro <jason.ribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> But do these questions actually get asked?  And if they are, is the
> wiki not capable of handling them?  Usually, someone asks how to do X
> and I point them to the wiki page on doing X, which contains
> instructions for all supported versions.

I think they are. Not all questions should be answered by pointing to
a wikipage or any other page. «How do I remove an entry from the
applications menu?» That's an easy one. There hasn't been any changes
for a long time, so everyone knows that the answer is «Right click on
the Applications menu and select "edit menus". But in two years, when
someone asks you how to set a status message for Facebook in the GUI
on lucid, what will you reply? Are you sure you're going to remember
the current MeMenu, which is going to change for maverick already?

> I'm trying to think of (or remember reading) questions that require
> actual troubleshooting and lts-specific knowledge.  Not all of the
> things you listed fit this category (certainly the permissions
> question counts though) and the fact I'm having trouble coming up with
> more is what makes me doubtful about the usefulness of a #ubuntu-lts
> channel.

I'm not talking about troubleshooting. I'm talking about day to day
use of the operating system people are using. Since the GUI will
change dramatically in the times ahead of us, we should expect most
users to forget how it was on 10.04 back in the days. I used Pidgin as
an example, because it was once one of our most visible applications,
and I no longer remember what it looks like. At least, not well enough
to tell people where to click in order to get the job done. This is
why we need an LTS channel.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad