Perhaps it would be wise to open #Ubuntu-LTS?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Sun May 9 11:37:41 UTC 2010

Hello everyone.

I was thinking it might be a good idea to open #Ubuntu-LTS instead of
redirecting it to #Ubuntu. For the next six months, I think lucid can
be considered both an LTS release and a regular release. I'm not
advocating that all lucid users should be directed to #Ubuntu-LTS
simply because it's an LTS release, but only those who are sticking
with LTS releases. In the coming months, a lot of people will be
upgrading hardy to lucid, and it would be useful, I think, to gather
as many people with those experiences in one channel. Upgrading from
hardy or karmic might not always be equal. I don't think it should be
a temporary channel, though. As lucid matures (or ages, if you wish),
most people in #Ubuntu will have forgotten the details of how stuff
used to be. I admit that when people ask me for help with Ubuntu, and
they say they're using Hardy, I tell them that I have forgotten how it
was back in those days. This kind of responses does not help promote
the usage of LTS releases, and instead encourage people to upgrade to
newer versions so that they can easier obtain help.  This is a Very
Bad Thing.

If we utilize #Ubuntu-LTS and gather those who are still using hardy,
or have upgraded from hardy to lucid -- that is to say, those who
stick with LTS releases -- in one channel, then the quality of support
should be much better. I also hope and think that many more users will
stick with lucid than the previous LTS releases. If, when maverick is
released, users who stick with lucid moves over to #Ubuntu-LTS, then
we should be able to build a very helpful LTS-centric support channel.
This would be a Very Good Thing.

Don't you think?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad