Defining the core channels

Juha Siltala topyli at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 16 13:28:47 UTC 2010

Greetings,

The IRC Council would like to be able to answer questions such as "What
are the Ubuntu core channels on Freenode?" or "How do we get our channel
included in the group of core channels?" Consequently, we trying to
create a definition.

The best approximation we have right now is a list of channels found in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcTeam/Scope . It is a list, there is no
definition.

What we can easily gather is a couple of requirements: the CoC must be
enforced on these channels, and operators of these channels are required
to idle in #ubuntu-ops. These are concequenses of being a core channel,
but don't say much about being or becoming one.

We can see one thing that none of these channels are not. There
currently are no team channels in the list. It is important to note that
the concepts of "core" and "important" are not related. The
documentation team's channels are not in the list, while offtopic
channels are.

A shorter and more precise definition would be very good to have. Any
suggestions?

Cheers,

Juha