IRC operator requirements

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 04:34:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Lasse Havelund <lhavelund at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> This whole probation for new people idea... I say scrap it.
>
> I like the idea of a 'probation period', both to actually verify the
> capacities of the users that are taken in as operators. Although, I
> suggest emphasising the mentor system a bit more (see below).
>
>> What if X applies to be an operator in #ubuntu-Y, and the IRC Council
>> decide "hey he's great, lets just say yes". Do they still have to go
>> through that entire process needlessly just to say yes to him?
>
> Well, one thing is knowing a user as a /user/. Another thing is knowing
> them as an operator. I don't see the problem in giving them a 'new
> operator', and give them a chance to prove themselves as operators.

Well, if they are applying to be an operator we should actually know
them as more than a user.  There's more to being an operator than just
the parts that require channel access, and someone seeking such a
position should be trying to take on the other parts of the role, and
we would look at that.

> [1] Just to clarify: when I was given op privileges in -offtopic, I had
>    a lot of questions about procedures, case management and so on.
>    A mentor would be a great help here. Someone preferably in the same
>    time zone, and with similar availability.

Careful, many of us don't follow our local timezone in any reasonable sense.  ;)

 - Tony Yarusso