general attitude for -ops, how we are expected to behave

Terence Simpson tsimpson at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 14 10:56:18 UTC 2010

As noted in the last meeting, this is the email explaining what I mean
by "Discuss general attitude for -ops, how we are expected to behave"

Let me start of by saying that is has little or nothing to do with the
no-idling policy, so please reply to the other thread about that. ;)
This is only to do with how we interact with people in -ops.

We should address issues around the perceived attitude of operators in
#ubuntu-ops, sometimes we can seem quite dismissive when a user joins to
report an issue. Not that we necessarily do dismiss their comments, but
we may be seen to do so. Also, sometimes we can gang up on someone when
they are discussing an issue, like a ban.

When someone joins -ops to warn us about something in one if the
channels, our reaction is sometimes something like: "yes, we know";
While I know we usually do this because we are actively monitoring a
situation and want to keep our attention on it, it can seem quite
dismissive. Changing the way we behave in -ops is not really something
we can or should write policy on, other than the Code of Conduct and
Leadership Code of Conduct of course, it's a cultural change. We need to
be aware that when someone joins -ops to report an issue or warn about
something, they may not be that familiar with IRC or the way we run things.
As the people holding the pointy-sticks, we should make an effort to
show people that we do listen, and we aren't kick-ban machines.

Also we sometimes react to trolling in -ops, our usual advice in
channels is to "just ignore it". I think we should abide by our own
rules in that situation. Obviously, I don't mean discussing trolls while
dealing with the issue, I mean sometimes we tend to vent our frustration
or annoyance in -ops. While it's understandable, -ops may not be the
best place for it.

So I want to ask for peoples opinions and comments on this. Do we even
agree that there is an issue here? Is there anything we can do to
improve this we aren't doing? Do we need to document anything (Eg in the
Operator Guidelines) on this?

Oh, and one final note: I know we are all human and we do make mistakes
or have bad days. I'm not proposing that we are forced to be cheery all
the time, and are fired out of a cannon when we fail. But we should all
make an effort to be considerate and lead by example.

--
Terence Simpson (tsimpson)