Ubuntu Core Channels Blocking Shell Accounts. Discussion.

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:05:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:47:39AM +0100, Matt Darcy wrote:
> We currently block tor

I'm just a lowly IRC user, and not an op on any of the core channels,
but I've always hated that Tor is blocked. I understand the reason for
blocking it, and I'm sure you understand why people use it, aside from
spam. I don't use it for IRC any longer, as Freenode announced SSL
connectivity, which is good enough for me.

I was shocked when I started connecting to IRC with Tor, and tried
joining #ubuntu, only to find I was banned. When I found out about the
blanket ban against Tor users, it was a sad day. To me, it seems people
are guilty, even if proven innocent, which seens backwards to me. Isn't
this the same philosophy of the MPAA/RIAA? Assume everyone is a
criminal, so create draconian DRM schemes, which end up doing nothing
for piracy, and hurting the honest consumer in the process. Your blanket
Tor ban, in my mind, is the same.

There are other ways to handle Tor users in a channel, such as changing
the channel mode to +r to block all unidentified users until the storm
passes, which of course Tor users will be.

Anyway, I just had to voice my 2¢ on the matter regarding the blanket
ban on Tor. Nothing will change, I'm sure. I just wanted to let you know
that some of us believe in anonymity and protecting ourselves against
network serveilance, and would like to be part of the #ubuntu network.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O