A view from the outside - RE: Stepping Down

Richard JOHNSON nixternal at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 7 16:08:16 UTC 2009

So, I have been following the threads on the mailing list since Martin
stepped down last week. I have to say it saddens me to see some of the
antics I am seeing, which is exactly the reason Martin stepped down, and
the reason I turned my back completely on the OP team.

First off, the only reason I was on the OP team was because in 2005 I was
OP'ing the channels before there even was an IRC team, so it carried over
without my knowledge. One day I woke up and there was an email from LP
telling me I am on the team. Oh well, that is just one more little silly
icon on my LP page that makes me look cool.

Let us start with what I remember from the OPs when I hung out in
#ubuntu-ops (which if you look closely I am in there now to see the mood in
the room). People would join the channel to see what it was about, and
after a few minutes someone would chirp up "Foo: is there anything you
need? If not could you please leave."  And if Foo didn't answer, the next
thing you saw was:

<   Foo!n=foo at bar/baz [requested by <OP>: "no idling, please"]

#ubuntu-ops is a public IRC channel, this "NO IDLING" rule is useless at
best. Why don't you want people idling in there? I know why a lot didn't,
and I will let it be known, I have the logs to back it up, over 3 years
worth that I would be glad to let everyone read, but I won't be that public
with it, unless you want me to be. The reason is, you don't want those
idling to see you talking, at times, mean of other people you are plotting
to kick and ban from some channel.

Ubuntu is an "OPEN" source community. There is no where in the CoC that
says, "You are not allowed to idle". Also because we are an OPEN community,
quit requesting to discuss this issue in private.

If you can step back and see the problem, then you are the problem. What is
fun about kicking and banning people that you take the job so damn serious?
A lot of you OPs would get mad at me when I would feed the trolls. You
would instantly kick ban while I was having a conversation with the person.
Do I come over and hang up your phone while you are talking on it?

I have witnessed disrespect on a fairly large level, and I even brought
this up in Mt. View. Like I said, I have the logs to prove my point and the
points of others who don't want to make it public.

Now, with the replies I have read on the list, it is apparent there is a
problem. The IRC Council needs to look into it. I would read their mailing
list, but it is private. I wonder what makes it so important that it has to
be private?

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738