been a while - cannon fodder perhaps then again it may not be

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - ompaul at eircom.net
Sun Sep 6 10:07:55 UTC 2009

Matt Darcy wrote:
> Peter Garrett wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 22:39:04 +0100
>> "Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -" <ompaul at eircom.net> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> If you are an op for more than a couple of years you should try to take
>>> a break - I know this is needed - it is my own opinion you are fooling
>>> yourself if you think it is not.
>
> I personally find this nonsense - people are able to work or contribute
> in different situations for different periods of time. While one
> personal my need a break or want a breaks, others will thrive and grow
> from it as their confidence and experience increases.
>

>> +1
>>
>> [snip]
>>> in tech support 12 - 18 months is the normal turn around
>
> Really ? I'm aware of people in a working industry that last much longer
> than this in tech support roles, and I'm also aware of people who
> contribute to the IRC world for more than 12-18 month periods, again
> while this may be true for someone, it's not true for everyone, so I'd
> suggest leaving these points at the door unless you find it effects you,
> in which case it seems good advice to follow Paul's suggestions.

contributions - helping people with FLOSS without being an operator since 93

I only tired when I became an op

I have no problem with someone staying around helping the whole time
whatever but I think ops should be forced off and let back on

I think the same for the IRCC

why did I come to this opinion - burn out look at the list of who left
IRC - in most cases it had to do with reactions to other ops - I think
that proves my case