Stepping down from the IRC team

Michael Lustfield mtecknology at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 5 17:08:06 UTC 2009

This may come across as out-of-topic but I'd like to make a few points..

I have used a large variety of distributions. If you see my laptop,
it's a very trimmed down version of Ubuntu with a Command Line
installation and the bare minimum I need. Often mistaken for Gentoo or
Debian. The point being, I could achieve an even more powerful system
if I were to use Gentoo. I've had Gentoo, LFS, Debian, Linux Mint,
College Linux, CentOS, Fedora, SUSE, openSUSE, and around 40 others.

The number one reason I left all but 5 of those was usability. I left
Gentoo and two others for fully different reasons than anything listed.
When it comes down to it, I've stopped trying different distributions
because I settled on Ubuntu.

I settled on Ubuntu because of the community behind it. I enjoy the
usability behind it, the bleeding edge releases (I'm using Karmic), and
Launchpad. However, it is solely the community that keeps me around.
I've even voiced this point directly to sabdfl a while back.

If I were to be given the op privilege, upholding this point would feel
that upholding that point would be an obligation. I do my best to help
others when they bring a question to me. If I can't find the answer, I
do my best to find it. In some way or another, I want to make sure the
user is satisfied in the end.

One thing I see happening is a misunderstanding of new users. Not
everyone has been around IRC and some issues come up because of this.
I don't want to draw any specifics, but when I meet a new user like
that, I do my best to educate them.

We all need to remember why we became an operator at all. I doubt you
did it for the power. If I were to take a guess, it would be because
you thought you could help the community further with the position. I'm
not an op in any core #ubuntu channel, so perhaps my perception is
wrong. Maybe you did do it just because you want to be the 'boss man'.

I think the key right now is to recognize that good ops have been lost
due to conflicts. Then we can recognize that there are issues in the
midst. Perhaps then we can schlep these issues out. Any other order is
just going to bring us back to further issues.

I want to toss out an example. My glass is empty. I fill it up again to
resolve the issue. Unfortunately it becomes empty again. I keep
trying to fix the empty glass, but I can't get it. I see a hole and
cover it. I fill it but it still goes empty. I finally realize the
issue is many many holes. The holes are too many and I can fix each
hole but it will be too hard. Instead I grab a new glass and my drink
does not empty. If you really read what I said - that should make sense
(no bashing required).

Remember, being an op is a privilege and a responsibility. To uphold
the spirit of Ubuntu. To help when needed. To... (I'm only using common
sense, I don't really know exactly what you guys say about it.)

- --
Michael Lustfield
Kalliki, SD LoCo

Network and Systems Administrator