Ops and "too many cooks"

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Mon Nov 16 14:29:12 UTC 2009

Greetings,

I just want to remind people about the "too many cooks" thing when
dealing with people in #ubuntu-ops. We have a few new peeps at the
moment, so I feel a broad reminder is probably worthwhile.

If an Op is engaging with someone already, then try not to interject.
Please give them some space to talk to the user.

A once-off comment is forgivable if it really is once-off and not echoed
fifty times. There are around 50 ops and freenode staff who idle in
-ops, so if everyone jumps in with their 2c, it can quickly start to
feel like a mob. We're not a mob, so let's not give that impression!

If people do interject while you're dealing with someone, and you feel
it changes the tone for the worse, then a give a quick "It's ok, I'm
dealing with it!" -- it can help to calm the user down too.

Ops should feel safe to PM each other if they need to communicate about
the user mid-mediation. If the mediating op wants backup, they should
say so in the channel :)

--
Melissa Draper

w: http://meldraweb.com & http://geekosophical.net